About Andrew Tisue

My photo
Jinyeong-ri, South Korea
After graduating from the University of Minnesota with a Bachelor of Science in Architecture, I made the decision to move to South Korea with my girlfriend Amanda, so we could experience a completely foreign culture and country while enabling us to reflect on our recent education, and make plans for our future.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

IT'S ALIVE!

We ate raw octopus and fish. It has been done.

Last Friday night after work, Glen and Luke took Amanda and I and our new Korean teacher out to dinner to celebrate Iris' hiring. When we asked where we were going Glen told us it was a surprise. This made us a little nervous, so we bombarded Glen with questions the entire way to the restaurant. The establishment we were soon to dine at is owned by the mother of one of our students. This is all Glen would reveal. Once we arrived and sat down, Glen and Luke ordered and in a short while we had a feast of raw food before us. First was the octopus, which must have just been cut up moments before being served to us. The tentacles were still squirming on the plate, and their suction cups were definitely still capable of doing their job. After wrestling a piece off the plate and fighting the small tentacle chunk to release it's grip, Amanda and I prepared to ingest the food. At that moment Glen announced: chew quickly or it will stick to the inside of your mouth! OK! Down the hatch! Here's a photo of the octopus I took on my phone:


After biting through a few pieces we got over the fact that they were still moving. As far as taste, I'm not sure what I could compare it to, but it really wasn't too bad. There's not a lot of flavor, and the meat is really chewy. Had it not been so difficult to get them off the plate I think it would have been a lot easier to eat.

We also ate some raw mussels (I think) and a raw fish that came served in a large wooden boat:



In the end it turned out to be a very good meal, and we were certainly surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment