About Andrew Tisue

My photo
Jinyeong-ri, South Korea
After graduating from the University of Minnesota with a Bachelor of Science in Architecture, I made the decision to move to South Korea with my girlfriend Amanda, so we could experience a completely foreign culture and country while enabling us to reflect on our recent education, and make plans for our future.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

1 Month + 1 Week

So we have made it 5 weeks. I intended to write last weekend but didn't find the time, and this past week was a long week so I'm just getting to it now. Mainly I didn't write this past week because I came down with a fever early Monday morning which progressively got worse in addition to chills, headaches, body aches, muscle aches, exhaustion, vomiting and loss of appetite. By Tuesday night I figured I had something more than a cold so I went to the doctor with our director Wednesday morning. They determined I had Tonsillitis, evident from my grossly swollen and painful tonsils which he said we also covered in white spots... Maybe that was too much information. At any rate, I received a three day supply of pills and was told to come back after those 3 days. After a day of taking the pills I began feeling better. Which was a huge relief, because shivering all night and sweating at the same time sucks, and then having to get up and go to work makes it about 12x suckier. At my checkup on Friday the doctor said the spots were beginning to decrease and gave me another three-day supply of pills, which seem to be doing the trick and at least have allowed me to get some sleep.

So here we are in our 5th weekend. Yesterday Amanda and I slept in quite late, which frankly felt fantastic. And let's be real, I'm not talking late, I'm talking early afternoon sleep-in :) After our glorious reunion with soft, drifting clouds, occasional numbered sheep and infinite interesting dreams we got our butts up and decided to attempt to take the bus to Gimhae to do some shopping at Home Plus. We were surprisingly successful, and managed to get on the right bus which dropped us off right in front of the large department store. We even managed to run into our new friends from last weekend who showed us how to get to the bus station so we could get back home. Here is a glimpse of some of our purchases. I am most excited about the coffee and french press :) The silver knobby thing is a suction shower head holder, so that we might actually be able to have a somewhat real shower situation, also quite exciting!


Besides the aforementioned items, I also picked up some bagels, a coffee mug for my hopefully delicious coffee, earmuffs, black socks, a soup bowl and lint roller.

As I mentioned earlier, last weekend we made new friends that we ended up traveling to Busan with. They showed us a little of how to navigate the buses and also showed us the "Golden" Gwangandaegyo Bridge and Haeundae Beach. Both were stunning. Here are a couple photos and a map showing where they are in relation. The beach we were at was the first one east of the bridge.


If you have been listening to the news this past week, you most likely know that North Korea bombed the South Korean Island Yeonpyeong. The North is blaming the South for provoking them by firing into their waters, while the South defends that the firings were planned, annual exercises that did not enter the North's side. It has been said that this was the most violent attack between the two sides, who have still technically been at war since 1953. Suspicions have it that one key reason for the bombings was a demonstration of Kim Jong-il's son, Kim Jong-un's power and ability to be his father's successor. Nothing says "I want to make you proud, dad" like a few hundred bombs raining down on unsuspecting innocent civilians and marines. Way to go North Korea, yet again you prove to the world your idiocy.


Lastly, I have been meaning to upload this photo from a couple weeks ago when we had dinner with our director, Glenn, and her husband Luke.

No comments:

Post a Comment